Friday, November 20, 2009

Hi my name is melissa I'm having an ovarian cyst can some one tell me about it?

Iam 18 years of age and am getting my menstrual cycle within a span of 15 days from the last 4 months to see if every thing is ok with me I went to the doctor and he told me to do some tests and an ultra sonography all my tests were clear but my sonography showed an right ovarian cyst which measures about 3.6 *3now I donot know whether it is normal or no if someone knows anything about it please write back to me and let me know whether it is normal or no and what should be done I'll be going to my doc next week

Hi my name is melissa I'm having an ovarian cyst can some one tell me about it?
At any given time, most women have cysts on their ovaries. It's very common. I had painful cysts and they never cause any "major" problems. I have three children now...LOL.





What are ovarian cysts?


A cyst is a fluid-filled sac, and can be located anywhere in the body. On the ovary, different types of cysts can form. The most common type of ovarian cyst is called a functional cyst, which often forms during the normal menstrual cycle. Each month, a woman's ovaries grow tiny cysts that hold the eggs. When an egg is mature, the sac breaks open to release the egg, so it can travel through the fallopian tube for fertilization. Then the sac dissolves. In one type of functional cyst, called a follicular cyst, the sac doesn't break open to release the egg and may continue to grow. This type of cyst usually disappears within one to three months. A corpus luteum cyst, another type of functional cyst, forms if the sac doesn’t dissolve. Instead, the sac seals off after the egg is released. Fluid then builds up inside of it. This type of cyst usually goes away on its own after a few weeks. However, it can grow to almost four inches and may bleed or twist the ovary and cause pain. Clomid or Serophene, which are drugs used to induce ovulation, can raise the risk of getting this type of cyst. These cysts are almost never associated with cancer.





There are also other types of cysts:





Endometriomas. These cysts develop in women who have endometriosis, when tissue from the lining of the uterus grows outside of the uterus. The tissue may attach to the ovary and form a growth. These cysts can be painful during sexual intercourse and during menstruation.


Cystadenomas. These cysts develop from cells on the outer surface of the ovary. They are often filled with a watery fluid or thick, sticky gel. They can become large and cause pain.


Dermoid cysts. The cells in the ovary are able to make hair, teeth, and other growing tissues that become part of a forming ovarian cyst. These cysts can become large and cause pain.


Polycystic ovaries. The eggs mature within the follicles, or sacs, but the sac doesn't break open to release the egg. The cycle repeats, follicles continue to grow inside the ovary, and cysts form.
Reply:Hi hun,





I am sorry to to hear that you have this. I wish you the best.





This is a condition that the doctors will let go for as long as they can as long as it is non cancerous.





Even if they do have to remove the ovary you will still produce and egg every other ovulation.





So you will still be able to get pregnant. You could also ask them to try and harvest what eggs they can just for a back up.


in any case they would be able to do invetro.





Good luck


No comments:

Post a Comment