Monday, November 16, 2009

Does this sound more like a ruptured ovarian cyst or kidney stone?

So I am a long distance ultra-marathon runner. I run 2 1/2 to 6 hrs a day (usually within the 3-4 hr range). My body is used to it and I've been training like this for a year now. The other day, after my run, I noticed extreme sharp pain in my pelvis. It got to the point where I could not stand up straight and walk, then urinating was so painful I was dizzy, lightheaded, felt like I was going to pass out, sweating perfusely, and felt like I would vomit. I went to the E.R. and they diagnosed it as a ruptured ovarian cyst, but they didn't know this for sure. It has gone away since, and I have felt no pain. It is just a bit scary to get back to the running as I don't know if I will feel it again. I am getting back into my running, but I don't know if the running didn't trigger this to happen in the first place?

Does this sound more like a ruptured ovarian cyst or kidney stone?
Most likely it is an ovarian cyst. I have had these, and had most of your symptoms except for the pain while uninating (that sounds more like a kidney stone). The pain seems to be in an area that is related to ocaria cysts, plus the pain from these cysts is more likely to go away quicker than kidney stones. I don't think that running would have anything to do with the cysts because my doctors never asked me anything about running and sports (and running has never made them worse). Birth control pills can help decrease the chance of getting them again, so if you are worried about that...talk to a gynocologist.
Reply:It's probably not a kidney stone - if you feel pain in the front of your body, more likely it's a ruptrued ovarian cyst. If it were a kidney stone, you would feel it kind of in your lower back area. Ask the doctor if a ruptured cyst would get worse by running, and if not, keep on running!


No comments:

Post a Comment