Friday, November 20, 2009

Can someone tell me if this is a Ganglion Cyst? Or something else?

A couple of days ago i found a lump on my palm. I made a doc appt. for next week but in the meantime I was wondering if someone could help me figure this out. I was thinking it was a Ganglion Cyst because its at a joint and it seemd to grow fast but not sure because of the location of the joint.





It is on my right hand at the base of my ring finger, not where my finger attaches to my palm but further down exactly at the joint where my finger bends in my palm if it makes sense. (3rd joint from the tip of my finger). Its on my palm side. It seemed to grow quickly. At least I never noticed til the other day. I just fealt my hand for whatever reason and noticed it. Maybe it was there for awhile. Not sure.





Anyway, It doesnt hurt unless I play with it. It feels like a little pea under the skin. It is movable. It is hard not soft.





Cant think of what else to describe it.





Please if you have any questions contact me. Its always scary finding stuff like this. Thanks everyone!

Can someone tell me if this is a Ganglion Cyst? Or something else?
A ganglion cyst is a tumor or swelling on top of a joint or the covering of a tendon (tissue that connects muscle to bone). It looks like a sac of liquid (cyst). Inside the cyst is a thick, sticky, clear, colorless, jellylike material. Depending on the size, cysts may feel firm or spongy.











One large cyst or many smaller ones may develop. Multiple small cysts can give the appearance of more than one cyst, but a common stalk within the deeper tissue usually connects them. This type of cyst is not harmful and accounts for about half of all soft tissue tumors of the hand.








Ganglion cysts, also known as Bible cysts, are more common in women, and 70% occur in people between the ages of 20-40. Rarely, ganglion cysts can occur in children younger than 10 years.








Ganglion cysts most commonly occur on the back of the hand (60-70%), at the wrist joint and can also develop on the palm side of the wrist. When found on the back of the wrist, they become more prominent when the wrist is flexed forward. Other sites, although less common, include these:








The base of the fingers on the palm, where they appear as small pea-sized bumps








The fingertip, just below the cuticle, where they are called mucous cysts








The outside of the knee and ankle








The top of the foot


No comments:

Post a Comment