Saturday, April 24, 2010

What type of surgical procedure is performed to remove a bronchogenic cyst?

I have a 3.6 centimeter cyst located behind my heart, and next to my Aorta. I am trying to get as much information on the surgical procedures that could be used, since it is taking forever for my Doctor to get me an appointment to meet with a surgeon. I am curious to know if they will have to crack my ribs open or not, and/or if it will possibly involve a lobectomy, and partial removal of my lung, even though it is off f my bronchial tube. Any information would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

What type of surgical procedure is performed to remove a bronchogenic cyst?
It depends on specifically where the cyst is located. There are some different procedures that might be used.





Mediastinoscopy: a lighted scope is inserted at the base of the neck in the sternal notch, and under the breastbone. Only small things can be done this way - your cyst might be too big for that.





Thoracoscopy: a scope again, through small incisions between the ribs. Many procedures, including lobectomies, can be done this way.





Thoracotomy: open procedure. Depending on the location of the cyst, this might be necessary. This is the rib-cracking surgery and has a much longer recovery time. Either of the first two procedures may need to be converted to this one if there is a problem (bleeding, can't reach the cyst, etc.)





You'll need to get the details from your surgeon. ASK QUESTIONS! Not all thoracic surgeons have the best personalities, just to warn you in advance.





Good luck to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment