Saturday, April 24, 2010

How long does it take to recover after laparoscopic surgery to remove an ovarian cyst?

My husband and I had been trying to concieve for about a year when I was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst. Since we had gone through other fertility testing with no clear indication for our infertility, my Dr. thought it would be best to remove the cyst surgically since there was a possiblity it was causing our problems getting pregnant. My surgery is in 1 week and I was wondering how long it will take to recover afterwards. When can I expect to get a normal period again and how long afterwards can my husband and I start trying to concieve again?

How long does it take to recover after laparoscopic surgery to remove an ovarian cyst?
A week at most. There are usually only 2 incisions, 1/2 inch each. There's no much pain involved at all. The worst part is that they can't get all of the gas out of you so every time you sit up, you get these sharp pains in your shoulders. It HURTS - but there's hardly any pain from the incisions themselves after day #1. The best thing for the gas pains is to try to be upright as much as possible, it hurts to the point where you're crying, but the more you move around, the quicker it goes away.


My first laparoscopy I laid down for a week and still have problems with the gas pains. My second one, I was moving around much more and after 3 days it was gone.


You'll probably want to wait a week before trying again. The surgery will likely cause you to miss your period, just an FYI. The surgery should help you become much more fertile right afterwards.
Reply:I had a diagnostic laparoscopy last Thursday and to be honest, i was quite unprepared for how i felt. I wasn't worried about it and thought it would be easy, but i had a lot of pain - probably caused by the gas - i've got IBS as well, so it was pretty severe. I didn't start feeling normal until Sunday and i still don't feel 100% yet. The procedure itself isn't anything to worry about, but just don't expect a walk in the park - be prepared because any procedure under general anaesthetic can make you feel poorly. I felt really stupid because everyone else seemed fine, but listen to your body and give yourself a week to recover fully. Good look with trying to get pregnant :0)

fuchsia

No comments:

Post a Comment